Image Map

Sunday, October 12, 2014

L is for...Let it Go


Day 12. Best advice you've been given



*sings* Let it go! Let it go!

Admit it, the song is in your head too. Forget Ebola, Frozen has the whole 'infectious contagion' thing locked down. That shit gets on everything and spreads like wild fire.

I can remember, years ago, having a discussion with my mom about my dad. My dad has been pretty hands off, absent...dead beat, if you will..for most of my life. I was so angry, for so long, at him..at the situation he put us in. I can remember my mom telling me that I needed to get over it, to let it go and forgive him. I think she may have even said I was being a tad righteous. Which I was.

Eventually, I did learn to let it go. I would never do what my dad did, to anyone that depended on me, but I have my own shortcomings and failings. We all do. I was tired of letting the past control me when I couldn't control it. There was nothing I could do about what had happened, I couldn't change him or even understand his motives.

Since then I've had a few encounters with my dad, a phone call and one Thanksgiving with him. It was nice not to have the simmering anger under the surface. He had no more control over me, not that he ever wanted it (which is the real kicker about it all). I still don't have a relationship with my dad and I'm pretty ok with that. He is too. Maybe we have both learned to let it go.






Helene in Between Blogtober

No comments:

Post a Comment