Image Map

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Hey-yo! I'm back and I have something I need to get off my chest.


This month is just whizzing on by.

Just in case you have been living under a rock, or you don't really "do" social media (which if you don't...its really annoying for your family and friends...however....I am slightly jealous..because I can't seem to quit). We are all suppose to be mad about the Starbucks red holiday cup. {insert eyeroll} Apparently it is not "Christian" enough. I don't see what any of their other holiday cups had to do with little baby Jesus in a manger, but that is neither here nor there. The solid red cup is, according to some, the sign of the debil and the heathen ways of this country.

I don't buy my coffee at Starbucks, except for a rare instance here and there. But I'm not really in the habit of buying my coffee anywhere other than at the grocery store to then prepare at home. For the record, I do not drink my homemade coffee in a holiday mug during the holiday season. I'm not sure what that says about me as a Christian.

There have been many, many funny meme's that have come out of this whole situation. And I have snorked out loud at a few.


But for the most part, I've sort of kept my opinion to myself over on the old book of faces. Mostly because, sharing something...for or against it, doesn't really DO anything. There is no action is telling other people on Facebook how ridiculous they are being while reminding them that there are much bigger problems in this world than a coffee cup.

I want to know what those people did, even in the tiniest way, to help fix those problems they keep reminding everyone else of. My view on my faith is that I cannot argue people into believing in my God. I cannot shame them...or belittle them...or guilt them. And I should not be trying to sway them by angry protest.

I can only try and love them.

Whoa! Hold on...I said the L word. I know that is really scary for some people. I don't really mean love them in the sense of trying to be overly kind to all those crazy people on Facebook. Some people are going to think and feel what they want.

What I mean is, instead of arguing back and forth about what the REAL meaning of Christmas is on Facebook, I'm trying to think of what ACTIONS I can take to SHOW what the real meaning of Christmas is.

And its all about the love and kindness and giving, people.

I am not trying to say I am the next Mother Teresa. I haven't taken any action to show what I feel the meaning of Christmas is...yet. But the thoughts are brewing in my mind as I type. So what I'd like to propose, although I'm sure tons of you will think this is way less fun than re-sharing something on Facebook, is that instead of posting to Facebook about the Great Red Cup Debate of 2016 (or any other seasonal debate that may come along...hello Target Ugly Sweater)...why don't you stop and think about something you can do for your community instead.

There are food banks near you that need food.

There are Toys for Tots that need toys.

There are Angel Tree recipients that need someone to be their angel this season.

There are homeless shelters, soup kitchens, church pantries, women's shelter, animal rescues..all right there in your community...that need your help.

So pick up a local newspaper or google your city...and find a way to SHOW people (that actually really need to see it) what the true meaning of Christmas is.


No comments:

Post a Comment