Monday, October 6, 2014
F is for...Follow your heart
Day 6. 10 Things You'd tell yourself when you started blogging
10. Blogging gets a lot cooler than Opendiary.com. Blogging is what we start calling what you are doing right now. Well, I'm not really sure how the term blogging came about. What do you mean it sounds stupid?!
9. Back it up. If you put stuff on your online journal that you don't want to lose, you have to back it up. It might seem like blogging websites that offer these formats will be around forever, but that isn't always the case. Don't trust someone else to keep your content safely stored away.
8. Read other blogs. We've been doing this for a while so this isn't really anything new. But people are really great writers so go look for them. And people come up with some really clever ways to deliver their point of view, so you can always learn a new trick or two.
7. There are a lot of fun ways for bloggers (that's what we call ourselves now) to interact with each other. There are even conferences and meet-ups. Join some link-ups or social media communities. Don't be afraid to get involved, but don't be disappointed if nothing comes of it or it doesn't work out.
6. Don't over think it. People can get really wrapped up in what other people want to read (or don't want to read) or create some crazy schedule for postings. That creates a lot of stress (i.e. no fun) which can lead to writers block. Post what you want, when you want.
5. Jazz it up. In the future..people actually pay other people to design their journaling space. You can do that, if you want..it's just for fun. But, you do not have to do it. A simple blog is just as significant as a dressed up one.
4. Comments are great..to get and give. Sometimes you might give more than you receive and that's ok, because those comments you leave for others probably really makes their day. Unless they get, like, hundreds of comments and then don't feel bad if you don't leave a comment because they probably aren't going to miss yours. And if you don't get any, or very few, don't sweat it (please see rule #2).
3. Don't run contests or giveaways. We aren't that kind of blog (and it really didn't work).
2. This is not a popularity contest. I know..I know online journaling isn't suppose to be about how many people you can get to read it. Somewhere between then and now, it has morphed into this huge, mega thing (Blogging is a career now...NO, I'm not kidding)..another way we judge each other and ourselves. It's real easy to get wrapped up in the numbers, how many followers...how many page views. Just put it all aside. This is ultimately for yourself.
1. Do what you want. This is your blog, online journal..whatever you want to call it. There are no rules other than the ones you want to set, follow, and/or break. Post every day...or leave it for months. Post only poems you come up with. Post pictures of your cats or your big toe. Post a picture of every single meal. Whatever, it's your blog. People don't have to like it..or read it..or comment on it...but..if you stay true to yourself I'm sure there will be people who will feel connected to what you put out there..because it will be real.