Image Map

Monday, May 9, 2011

Sweet Memory

It must have been nearly four years ago. My Mother-in-law had come to pick me up from work to take me some where..I don't remember where, probably a doctors appointment. My nephew, Mack, was in the back seat. If it was four years ago he wasn't in school yet but hanging with Nanny for the day.

It was around this same time of year, right after Mother's day. We probably had just celebrated the weekend before, with gifts for my Mother-in-law and Grandmother-in-law. We hadn't been talking about Mother's day but from the backseat my nephew says,

'Why didn't Jinny get anything for Mother's day?'

My Mother-in-law and I sort of glanced over at each other. It's not exactly a super touchy subject, but for anyone that has ever suffered through infertility, hearing the words..cold,hard facts..can sometimes sting. My Mother-in-law took the lead. 'Well, honey. Jinny and Jeremy don't have any kids.'

Mack sat there for a minute processing that information.

'But she has Duke and Lola.'

I smiled, so did my Mother-in-law. 'Yes she does.'

The next month, when Father's day rolled around, Mack had made all the Dad's little beaded animals. Jeremy got a fish, its still hanging on his rear-view mirror. And I got a mouse. Not for Father's day..but as a belated Mother's day gift.


4 comments:

  1. Aw, this literally brought a tear to my eye! Kiddos are SO caring sometimes! Mack sounds like a little sweetie. :)

    P.S. We struggled with infertility as well. I had a thyroid problem and didn't know it, so it took us almost two years to get pregnant with Babe. I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is one of the sweetest things i've ever heard. sweet boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a precious story. i have a friend that gets gifts from her dog for mother's day. and to think of it, we are their parents. I have animals too, though i have never received a mother's day gift from my "kids" .... guess I need to talk to dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this memory. I'm sitting here with a tear and a smile!

    ReplyDelete