Image Map

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Texas-style Fish Tacos

This was my first time making this recipe. I love to browse for new recipes and get so excited to try something new. They don't always pan out..which is a bummer. But sometimes they DO..like this one.

The cast:
1/2 cup yogurt, plain and non-fat
1/2 cup mayo
2 limes
1 jalapeno
1 1/2 tbsp tequila
2 cups flour
1 lb white fish, cut into small-ish peices
10 8-inch corn tortillas
1 cup shredded white cabbage
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
oregano
cumin
cayenne pepper
salt
pepper
Old Bay seasoning
fresh cilantro, chopped
2 avocados, sliced

In a small bowl, mix together yogurt and mayo. Gradually stir in lime juice (from one whole lime) until the sauce is slightly runny, then add diced jalapeno, oregano, cumin, and cayenne (all to taste). Set aside.

In another bowl, combine lime juice (from the other lime), tequila {What? Doesn't everyone have a bottle of Patron in their fridge?}, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.

Add the fish bits and toss to coat. Marinate for 10 minutes.

While your fish is getting drunk, combine the flour and Old Bay seasoning in a shallow dish. Coat all the fish in the flour mixture.

Heat just enough oil to coat the bottom of a pan and lightly fry the fish until golden brown (I had to do this in two batches). Place fried fish on a paper towel to drain.

While you are making sure the fish gets golden brown and not burnt to a crisp, enlist a cute boy to chop up the onion and cilantro (and avocados, if you are using them...we just bought guacamole..lazy, I know) that you need to dress your tacos.

Now, I swore I took a picture of a corn tortilla getting an oil bath but I guess I was distracted. Using the same pan you fried the fish in, drizzle some additional olive oil in there and cook the tortillas until limp, not crispy. I set these out on some paper towels too to soak up any leftover oil.

Throw a few fried fish nuggets on a corn tortilla, top with cabbage, some the white sauce you made earlier, avocado, red onion, and fresh cilantro. Pour a glass of whine and dig in.




6 comments:

  1. I love fish tacos! These look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking LOVE fish tacos and these look soooo good. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making pasta right now and you just made me crave fish tacos! Those look spectacular!
    I will have to post my recipe some time for my fish tacos with manfo salsa.... yumba!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look sooooooo yummy! Will have to try these out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Yankee wants to know - does Tequila keep "better" in the fridge? I mean, I have a bottle for the obligatory margaritas but am I storing it incorrectly? Not that it last that long in the house.

    ReplyDelete