Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Rest of the Story

I guess I should fill y'all in on what went down last week, huh? I might have put it off a little longer if my friend Julia hadn't asked about it over on my facebook page. I forget sometimes that there are people out there that are sort of paying attention to my life..and they don't live near me...and I don't talk to them on the phone on a regular basis. SO..here is...the rest of the story..

*Anyone else hearing Paula Harvery in their heads? No? Just me? Alrighty then.*

I guess y'all already know about the whole putting the house on the market and having a full price offer less than 24 hours later? Right. Ok, let's skip ahead a day to last Thursday.

We reached out to a few different places in town to get pre-approved for our next home. I mean, we signed the contract to sell our house on Tuesday..I guess we needed to get to the whole buying a new home part. Wwwwwhhhyyy weren't we already pre-approved before we even had a for sale sign in our yard? Good question. And I don't have an answer. We just assumed that we would be approved.

As it turns out we weren't approved. For anything.

The fact that we were turned down wasn't so devastating...it was the fact that we were turned down AFTER we had signed the contract to sell our house. I don't really want to go into the reasons why we weren't pre-approved. It's enough to say that we understand the situation and what we need to do to correct it. But on Thursday, all the understanding in the world didn't change the fact that we couldn't get into a new home and as of May 20 we had to be out of this home.

I never cried so much in one day. I cried until I had nothing left to cry. Until my eyes were red and puffy. What had we done? I texted our realtor..what were our options? Could we back out of the contract? No..she says. We could rent..if we could find a landlord that would allow all FIVE of our pets. We could move in with the in-laws. None of these things are exactly life-ending, but as I sat on my couch in my living room I couldn't help but think how we screwed everything up. How could we be ok with going from owning our own home to living with our in-laws? We couldn't be...even though we would have survived.

I went to bed that night with a heavy heart. I had Lola and Squeak in bed with me and I cried on them because I felt like I had even let them down. They depend on us to keep them safe and secure and we were about to rip their home away from them. What a complete failure of a pet mom I was.

The next morning my realtor sends me a text...'Are you ok?' and I had to answer her honestly..No...we were NOT ok. A few hours later she asks if she should reach out to the buyers realtor and ask if there was any way that we might be released from the contract. Um..Yes! Of course! Hurry, do it fast! And thank God...the buyer did let us out of the contract. I don't know what our realtor told their realtor, and I don't care. All I know is that Whitney Hull, who almost bought our house, is a saint of a woman.

Today, my message from the Universe was this:

Appreciating what you already have, Jinny, is how to get more of what you don't.

The Universe

And, I have never appreciated this little house more than I do right now. It's like we bought it all over again. And even though the things that annoy me about this house are still here, I have a whole new respect for the idea of 'home'.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that sounds crazy! I'm glad that things resolved without too much damage, even though I'm sure it was an incredibly stressful few days!