Image Map

Friday, January 30, 2009

A sassenach gaun ta Alba, ye ken?


"No one in Scotland can escape from the past.
It is everywhere, haunting like a ghost" ~ Geddes MacGregor


I've talked a little about some of the places I want to go here and here. I talked about going to California to visit the ancient redwoods because I felt the need to be among things that are much, much older than anything I know.

Well, I suppose the tug to go to Ireland and Scotland is for the same reasons. I want very much to go to a place that has existed before time was time. I want to visit the Cliffs of Moher and feel like I am standing on the edge of the world. I want to place my hands on a standing stone to see if I'm lucky enough to feel anything. I want to meet a highland coo and an Irish sheep. I want to explore Killarney National Park and have a picnic by Loch Ness. Maybe I'd be lucky enough to get to watch some highland games. Maybe I'd get lucky enough to learn what men REALLY wear underneath their kilts....just kidding...sort of.

Anyway, I could go on and on. I want to hear the music in the pubs, and walk along the cobbled streets, and eat fish and chips, and drink a pint (even though I HATE beer..I would drink it there..because you just have to), and learn the local slang..or try to anyways. I want to climb over stone walls, and visit crumbling castles. I want to kiss the Blarney Stone, even though that is SUCH a tourist thing to do..I don't care, I want to do it anyways. I want to hike, and drive, and tour.

And someday I will...do all of that..and maybe more.

No comments:

Post a Comment