Image Map

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sandra Lee ain't got nothing on me

"There is no sight on earth more appealing than the sight of a woman making dinner for someone she loves." ~ Thomas Wolfe

So, tonight was my turn to cook. Lazy Day chicken, in fact. I love this recipe because it's super easy..and I'm all about that.

If you want to cook along, you better just turn your oven to 350 degrees now.

Lazy Day chicken is so simple that everything you need is in the picture below. Chicken, beef broth, tomato sauce, onion flakes, and garlic powder. Ta-da, that's it. Oh, and some non-stick spray which you already put in the dish before adding the chicken, right?


The recipe itself calls for 1/2 can of both the beef broth and tomato sauce. I just eye ball it. I pour enough broth in there to cover the chicken and enough tomato sauce to make it..well..tomato-ish enough for my taste. Same with the seasoning, just add whatever you think you might like.


Slap a lid on it and throw it in the oven for 30 minutes. And try not to burn yourself in the process...like I did. Doh! Now, just walk away. Go tweeze your eyebrows or something. After 30 minutes, take the lid off and put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes. You have about 10 minutes to kill before putting on the water for the rice.


Ok, so I'm pretty sure y'all know how to boil water. But, it's a cool picture, huh?


Once the water is boiling toss in the 'boil in the bag' rice. Yeah, yeah..it's instant. Deal with it. Let it go for about 10 minutes.


Once you've hit the 5 minute mark you can put the steamed veggies in the microwave. Have you tried this stuff? It's really, really good. I didn't add anything to the veggies, but you can if you want.


The veggies are done just in time to pull the rice out of the water. I like to add butter to mine, not much..just a dab will do ya.


I intentionally turned the spices around because really you can add whatever flavors float your boat. For mine, I added a little onion poweder, garlic salt, dried parsley, and dried basil.


And there you have it. A full meal. And don't you even worry about all that splattery crud around the edge of the chicken dish. I swear it washes right off!


Jeremy gave it two thumbs up!!

3 comments:

  1. That is too freakin' funny! I was just fixing to come home and send you an email to ask for your chicken recipe that you were talking about earlier! I will definitely have to try it!

    Do you think longer if there's more chicken then two? And then maybe up the broth and tomato sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like a quickie meal to prepare. Thanks for the idea! See, I've got to learn to cook once I move out! haha.

    ReplyDelete