Image Map

Sunday, June 29, 2008

I take pictures



"Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner." ~ Author Unknown

When I was in high school I signed up for a photography class. I wouldn't say I was exceptional at it. I wasn't the star student. I was ok, but just ok. It didn't matter to me though, that I wasn't automatically an excellent photographer. I just wanted to take pictures. There was something about lugging your camera around and looking for that perfect shot that just got to me. And, in this class, we developed our own film. It was wonderful. I loved everything about the process.

I loved being in the dark room, trying desperatly to roll your film onto the reel without getting fingerprints all over it, or having the layers touching.

I loved setting the timer and swiching the reel around in the canister with all the special chemicals that would bring the pictures to life.

I loved the moment of truth, holding your breath as you take a look at your negatives in the light to see what you ended up with.

I loved spending hours in the processing room, taking time to line up your picture just right, getting the proper exposure of light onto your photo paper.

I loved how you took a blank piece of photo paper and swished it around in chemicals and watched your picture appear...like magic.

I just loved it all.

As I've mentioned on this blog before, I just bought a fancy-shmancy digital camera. I love it, and use it all the stinkin' time. My technique isn't perfect or professional. Honestly, I don't really know what I'm doing. As much as I loved the process of developing the film in my photography class, I didn't take with me the knowledge about F-stops, or ISO speeds, or any of that technical stuff.

My husband says he can't take pictures like I can. He swears I do a much better job. I don't really see how. I point and click. That's it. How is it that not EVERYONE can do that? It's beyond me. But, there are people out there just like my husband who think they couldn't take a good picture to save their lives. And that's where I come in.

I have placed some of my photos up for sell on Etsy.com. I know there is only like one or two people that ever read this blog (Hi Mom!) but I would appriciate it if you went and had a look. And please feel free to forward on the link to anyone else you think might be interested.

My Etsy Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment