Image Map

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Growing Older



My husband and I when we were very young (1997)



My husband and I last winter (2007)

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." ~ Author Unknown

There is this commercial I see, I forget what its for, but all of these children are talking about how good adults have it. We can do whatever we want, whenever we want. Most of the time Jeremy and I both snort at the TV. If only that were true.

Actually, even though as adults we become slaves to different things we do have certain freedoms that we don't have as children. We have the freedom to essentially make our own decisions. Now, I'm not saying that these decisions are always SMART, but that's the thing about being an adult. It doesn't really matter if its smart or not, if you want to do it you can.

We can have ice cream whenever we want. Middle of the night? Right before dinner? FOR dinner?

We can stay up as late as we want or go to bed as early as we want. Want to go to bed when it's still light out? How about pulling an all nighter? TWO all nighters?

Hey, again, I didn't say they would always be SMART decisions.

Want to quit you job? Buy a new car? Get a tattoo?

Go a whole day without brushing your teeth? Wear the same underwear two days in a row?

Are you eewww-ing? Hey, we are adults and can do what we want!

Paint your bedroom pepto pink? Paint it again the next day?

Want to get a dog? Another dog? How about another?

How about a vacation in Hawaii? Want to drive across the country?

Wear that shirt with those pants? Buy a ridiculously expensive pair of shoes?

Sometimes my childhood catches up with me and I hesitate for a second. I'm not suppose to be spending money on this. Should I just throw this t-shirt away? I can't have ice cream until after I've had dinner. I really shouldn't sleep in until noon. One day off without pay is really not responsible.

And then I just shake my head to clear it. And I am back to being the adult me. The me that can make my own decisions, and do what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment