Image Map

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Fear that Binds


"Anything I've ever done that ultimately was worthwhile... initially scared me to death." ~ Betty Bender

Why is it that the things we want the most are the things that scare the crap out of us? Fear holds us in place. Maybe not a terrible place, but it prevents us from moving forward into something possibly better.


Jeremy has had dreams of playing on stage for as long as I have known him. When he was younger he plans were to move to Austin to try and make a living off of his guitar. Of course, things happen in life and plans change and we are still here in West Texas. He has never played on a stage while he and I have been together. But, the chance has come to change all of that.


It took him a few days to work up the nerve to shoot off an email about this opportunity. His heart was pulling him to jump in and his fear was telling him to hold back. As we discussed it and I tried to build him up, he asked me, 'How can something I've dreamt of doing, terrify me so much?'


I don't have an answer for him. Fear is irrational. It doesn't make sense. Like being afraid of the dark or afraid to swim in a lake. I have my own fears that hold me back from doing things. Big things, life altering things. The 'what-ifs'..fears side-kicks..keep me from making any move.

If Jeremy can face his fear, maybe it will give me the courage to face mine.

1 comment:

  1. We are so excited to come see him play! We will be there!!!!

    ReplyDelete