Image Map

Monday, September 3, 2007

#75 - The End

“True love doesn't have a happy ending, because true love never ends."

My pastor likes to say that too many couples think that the wedding is the grand finale to their relationship when in fact it is just the very beginning to a marriage. The wedding is the easy part of a marriage. So many women say that they have pictured their weddings since they were little girls. Well, what about the marriages that come afterwards? They get married and then say 'Ok, now what?'

My husband and I have been together for ten years this month. Our marriage is not up to ten years, but our relationship is. Although I can hardly remember my life without my husband it doesn't seem like it's been ten years. All my lady friends remind me how lucky I am to have such a wonderful husband, but I don't need reminding. Every morning when I wake up and he is there to kiss me I know how lucky I am.

I was sixteen when he and I started dating, a few months later we were engaged. We moved in together when I was eighteen. And I was married when I was nineteen. People thought we were crazy to marry so young, but I never doubted that he was who I was going to spend the rest of my life with. Now that we are both at the end of our twenties, by no means old but moving nicely into middle age, I can look back and smile and be thankful that I spent my young adulthood with him.

I'm also looking forward to the future with him. Looking forward to a comfortable marriage that is always growing and changing and evolving. Looking forward to a warm friendship and the knowledge that I will always have a soft place to fall. Looking forward to breathless bouts of laughter, content moments of silence, heated arguments, and the love-making that comes after.

Relationships are made up of endings and beginnings, but true love, that is the one constant. I haven't reached my happy ending...no, this is just the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've had a good start together--I bet the next ten years will be great too.

    ReplyDelete