Image Map

Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Dog's Guide to Life


Every day when I get home from work, I immediately let the dogs outside in the back yard. While I give them time to do their thing I do a few chores around the house. Sometimes I sneak to the back window to see if either of them are standing at the back door waiting to come back in. I say sneak because if the weather is nice I don't expect them to come right back in, but if Lola sees me or hears me...no matter how much she is enjoying her sunny spot...she'll want to come back inside. So I spy on my dogs.

Yesterday I did my usual sneak-a-peek out the back window. Both Duke and Lola were sitting in the sun just watching the world go by. I don't know why this time, out of all the other times I've checked on them, it struck me how simple a dog's life must be. My dog's were just enjoying the beautiful weather. They don't have cell phones to distract them, no iPad or Kindle. They don't have to try and snap the perfect selfie of their porch sitting to share on social media (guilty!). They don't have to check-in to let everyone know where they are and what they are doing. They have no distractions...and no one to validate how awesome their day is.

The truth is dogs don't need anyone to tell them how awesome their life is. Dogs just know that it is, in fact, the greatest thing ever. Their enthusiasm for life, even when no one else is looking, is something I hope to strive towards.




No comments:

Post a Comment