Image Map

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Daily Life:Grocery Shopping


Picture by myself of our message board in the kitchen. It helps us keep track of our dinner menu, organize our bills, and holds our keys. Oh yeah, and it's great for holding post cards from our vacations.

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~ Anne Tyler, The Accidental Tourist

There is something about going grocery shopping that I love. Sometimes making a menu can go frustratingly slow and sometimes people at the store can get on my last nerve. But, for the most part I enjoy it.

I like sitting down and making a dinner menu with Jeremy. Sometimes we draw a blank and have the hardest time thinking of things to fill up a two-week period. But, I enjoy doing it with him.

I like organizing my shopping list based on how we move through the store. Fruits and vegetables first, breads and salad dressings next, on to the cereal, and so on. We rarely wonder around the store, and we rarely have to stand and examine every little package. We know where we are going and what we need.

I really like that Jeremy and I do our shopping together. We keep each other on budget and away from a lot of the snack foods. If I was thinking of switching to a different soap or something we can make the decision together. I know, it sounds so small and silly. But, it's just another way for us to stay connected.

I love finding coupons we can use. It's like free money! Why haven't we been using them all along? Today, we saved nearly $15.00 using coupons. Every little bit helps, I say.

And, lastly, I love coming home and bringing in all the groceries. Jeremy and I work together to put them all away. The feeling of having a full pantry and a full fridge within the budget we set is a really, really good one.

1 comment:

  1. i love this post. i also love to grocery shop, but i don't let my husband go with me. he throws off my rhythm. the few times he has gone i always remind him of the rules. he pushes the cart and nobody gets hurt.

    ReplyDelete