Image Map

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Cell phone = Crack?



“If we go down and have no phones, no computers and no cell phones, we are still going to be able to communicate,” ~ Aaron Adams

Yesterday, Jeremy and I went to McAlisters for lunch. These two guys came and sat at the table across from us. And I couldn't help but notice that from the time they sat down to the time we left either both of them or one of them was on their cell phone. While they waited for their food both of them were on their cell phones. And then when the food got there one of them was still on his cell phone.

What was the point of going to lunch together if they weren't going to say a single word to each other?

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. People are...addicted..to their cell phones. People are...addicted..to being able to get ahold of anyone at anytime. Sometimes Jeremy and I will go out without bringing either one of our cell phones. Usually, we don't even think about it. But there are some times that I do it on purpose because I like the idea of being out with my husband knowing that we each have the others undivided attention. Not that my husband is one to talk on the phone much anyways. Sometimes we will come home to find missed calls on our cell phones and messages on the answering machine asking, 'Where ARE y'all?' Like people can no longer wrap their brains around the idea of being without a phone for any period of time.

I'm not expecting people to get rid of their cell phones entirely. I enjoy my cell phone, I like having it. I just don't have to be using it, talking on it, or have it within reach 24 hours a day.

It's just....

.. when you are at someones house..don't stay on your phone carrying on a conversation with someone else.

.. when you are driving..there is NO REASON to be on your phone carrying on a causal conversation.

.. when you are out eating lunch/dinner with other people..it's plain RUDE to stay on the phone with someone else the entire time.

And people don't understand any of that. They don't seem to care that they are being rude..or careless..or wreckless. They don't seem to care that they are so busy being connected with someone over the phone that they can't be bothered with connected with the person across the table.

3 comments:

  1. I am addicted to my cell phone and I am definitely in violation of many of those rules.. but my mother is in constant violation of each of them, and you are absolutely right: it's the single most annoying thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sooooo right. It is very annoying. The only thing worse than people talking on mobile phones inappropriately, is people constantly on their 'crack-berries' e-mailing 24/7. Are they really so important they can't take a break for a meal?

    ReplyDelete