Image Map

Monday, May 5, 2008

101/#30 - Donate my time for a fundraiser



Wherever a man turns he can find someone who needs him. ~Albert Schweitzer

Every year, the church I grew up attending hosts a spring festival. It's a wonderful time to mingle with your fellow church goers outside of the usual mass and bible studies. The kids have plenty of games to play, there are sodas and snacks, a live auction, and a brisket and sausage lunch. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I don't attend that church any longer but I go back every year for the lunch, if nothing else.



When I was growing up I spent my entire day at the festival, playing games and wondering in and out of the arts and craft room. You see, for as long as I can remember the women of my family have operated the arts and crafts room in one fashion or another. I have a lot of memories of my Grandma helping me pick out a birthday present for my Mom from all the different crafts (my Mom's birthday generally falls on or around the festival..this year, her birthday was Friday). As I grew older I was usually wrangled into helping in the arts and crafts room doing something or other, but that was all before I was moved out on my own.



I hadn't worked in the arts and crafts room for several years now, but this year I decided I wanted to help. So, I emailed my Aunt, who along with another lady, runs the show for the arts and crafts room. After a few exchanged emails I had my work shift. I showed up at 8:30am and beat my Aunt there. But, from the moment she stepped in the door we were both swept up in a frenzy of last minute price-tagging. I don't think I stopped for a second the whole two hours I worked, and the time went by in a flash. Next thing I know my husband is there and ready to eat. Of course, during my time in the room I found something that I just could not live without and so I took my purchase to the check-out table. As the woman was ringing me up and my husband was writing a check, she said, 'I'm so glad you came and helped this morning. You really lightened the load for your Aunt'. I jokingly said, 'Well, I'm glad I came too (that's not the joking part..ha ha) and my Aunt says she already has me down to do the same thing next year.' To which she replied, 'Once she hooks you in, your in for life. Besides, it's in your blood'.

And, you know what? It really is.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love volunteering, too. It's such a fabulous feeling!

    ReplyDelete