Image Map

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Itch



“I've had people say it's your mid-life crisis tattoo. I don't think so, but if it is, it's a pretty harmless one. I just like them. They're not on there for anyone else, but more it's something that's there for me.” ~ Michelle Dawson

I got my first tattoo two weeks after my 18th birthday. My Mother was very vocal about her dislike for the idea. Most of the time I didn't argue with my Mom, but on this occasion I did. I was going to get a tattoo and there was nothing she could do about it. I worked an evening shift back then so I went into the tattoo shop before work. I had my husband (boyfriend at the time) there with me for moral support. He already had one tattoo by then, so I figured it was good to have him around. I picked a small butterfly, no bigger than a quarter, from the flash on the wall. It took maybe 30 minutes and about that much money. I went straight from there to work and didn't get home until after 11:00 that night. My Mom was still up and she said in a very defeated tone, 'Ok, let me see it'. I showed it to her, it was on my back in the shoulder blade area, and she says 'Oh, that's not so bad'. My eyes rolled back so far in my head I could read the label on my underware. All that fighting and arguing for nothing.

That has been several years ago and although I don't regret getting my butterfly tattoo I do regret that I didn't take more time to really think about what I wanted. It was a statement in itself..but a small, unoriginal one. Over the years I didn't give any serious thought to another tattoo, but my husband on the other hand collected five more. And then, about a year and a half ago, we both got the itch. It took a little time to find what we wanted but soon we had it and we both went it to be tattooed. This is what I got (bringing my total up to two):



Although it is in the spot of the 'tramp stamp' I don't consider it to be one. I love my tattoo. It's sort of old school with a twist. I love it because it's unique and I love it because I had it done with my husband (sort of like the first one). He got this one (which brought his total up to seven):



Don't adjust your computer monitors, you are seeing it right. That's my name..on his arm. We talked a lot about that tattoo. We discussed the pros and the cons and the what ifs of doing something like that. Tons of people would never do it, and that is 100% ok with me. I understand the arguments against it. But, he wanted to do it. He was ok with doing it. And so there it is.

He's gotten yet another tattoo since then (are you keeping count? That's eight) and already has plans for his next one (or next dozen..lol). I also have some ideas swishing around in my head. I would like to get a 'Mom' tattoo. My Mom is one fantastic lady and I would love to honor her in that way. I don't know if or when I will do it. It took me six years from the first one to get the second one. I don't think it will take me nearly that long to get a third.

No comments:

Post a Comment